Development & Construction Permits2018-07-04T12:17:02-06:00


Thinking about making some changes to your home. Building, or developing in Fox Creek?

It’s important to know as much as you can about your project before you begin so there are no surprises. Various types of projects are regulated by the Town of Fox Creek and may require permits and inspections.

Whether you are building a new structure or renovating an existing one, Town of Fox Creek’s Planning and Development Services is here to help. We can help you determine what regulations might affect your project and what kind of permits you require before you begin.

The permit process

  1. Determine what you want to build and verify with us that your land use zoning / bylaw allows that development
  2. Get a site plan
  3. Apply for the development permit
  4. Apply for the building permit
  5. Apply for mechanical permits (plumbing, gas, electrical and private sewage)

 Click to open responses

Most types of property or building development require one or more permits. Any use or development of lands or buildings requires a development permit, unless exempt under the Land Use Bylaw.

Many developments also require building permits, and electrical, plumbing, gas, and/or private sewage disposal permits.

Alberta Municipal Affairs offers a Do I need a Building Permit tip sheet that can help explain the process.

The Municipal Government Act and Town of Fox Creek’s Land Use Bylaw guide the development permit process. Development Permits are required for new builds, additions and renovations to structures and for a change in land use on a property.

The Safety Codes Act and the Alberta Building Code, Alberta Gas Code, Alberta Plumbing Code, Canadian Electrical Code Part 1, Alberta Private Sewage System Standard of Practice 2015 and Alberta Fire Code guide the building permit process.

Your project must have Development Permit approval to get a safety codes permit.

The major benefits are knowing that the installation will conform to the safety standards adopted under the Safety Codes Act and that safety code officers will provide the inspection(s).

For Development Permit, you can find our application forms and fees listed in the section below. For safety code permits, please contact our Safety Codes Agency. Details provided in the section below.

If you have a project planned, you can book a pre-application meeting with Planning and Development Services by calling 780-622-3896 or by visiting the the Town Office. At the pre-application meeting, you can learn more about land use, development restrictions, and permitting requirements. We can help you apply for development, building and mechanical permits before beginning construction and advise if you need permits from other agencies.

Usually the property owner applies for development and building permits and the specific trades will apply for plumbing, private sewage disposal, gas, and electrical permits.

The information you need to submit varies depending on the type of project. Our application forms, include checklists that will help you determine what type of drawings and information are required.

For inquiries on a safety code permit, contact our Safety Codes Agency. Details provided in the section below, entitled ‘Safety Code Agency’.

You have 12 months to start a project once you get your development permit. Once work has been started, your permit remains valid until the work is completed, provided that the project is substantially completed within two (2) years of the date the permit was issued.

Land use in Fox Creek is regulated by the Land Use Bylaw. If you need help, contact us for more information. You may also find an answer in the ‘Information Brochures’ section, below.

Use our online mapping system, Discover Fox Creek. You can also contact us for zoning, possible land uses, development projects happening in your area and other property information on land throughout the Town.


Planning and Development
Town of Fox Creek
PO Box 149
Fox Creek, Alberta

Tel: (780) 622 3896

Development Permit Applications

A Development Permit is required for any new construction or changes to any existing buildings or land. Development permit applications can be made at the Town Administration Office by filling out the form below:

Compliance Certificate

As of October 18, 2016 onward, as part of Compliance Certificate application, the Town of Fox Creek will only accept RPR that is:

  1. No older than six (6) months from the time of request, or
  2. No older than year 2005 accompanied by a Statutory Declaration.

One cost-effective way to comply with the new RPR requirement is to get an updated RPR instead of complete a new RPR. Please note that ONLY the original Land Surveyor can update the report.

Fees and Charges bylaw

Development Charges

Application to Appeal Assessment$50.00
Successful Application to Appeal Assessment Refund$50.00
Copy of Land Use Bylaw$12.00
Application to Amend Land Use Bylaw$500.00
Subdivision and Development Appeal$150.00
Land Title Search$25.00
Compliance Certificates
Compliance Certificate$50.00
Rush Compliance Certificate``$80.00
Subdivision Applications
Subdivision Application Fee$400.00
Parcel fee excluding remnant, up to 20 parcels$100.00 /parcel
Parcel fee excluding remnant, over 20 parcels$50.00 / parcel
Development Permits
Development Permit Application$20.00
Development Permit Application fee for Boarding House$150.00
R1A, R1B, ER
Single Family Dwelling$200.00
Renovations / Additions$125.00
Accessory Buildings$125.00
Mobile / Modular Homes$200.00
Renovations / Additions$125.00
Accessory Buildings$125.00
Apartments / Condo Buildings$300.00
Renovations / Additions$125.00
Accessory Buildings$125.00
C1, C2, C3
Commercial Building$500.00
Accessory Buildings$200.00
US, P1, UR
Day Care / Group Home$400.00
Public Use Building$400.00
Accessory Buildings$400.00
Addition Renovations$400.00
Accessory Buildings$400.00
Direct Control$400.00
Demolition Permits$75.00
Fascia, Wall, Canopy, Awning$200.00
Free Standing$300.00
Parking Lots$200.00
Over Sized Fences$100.00