Economic Development Officer (Term)
The Town of Fox Creek has an exciting opportunity available in their Administrative Town Office. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Economic Development Officer is responsible for leading the Town’s economic development efforts to attract and maintain business and industry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifying and promoting new business and or industrial opportunities
- Identifying and promoting improvements to and expansion of existing businesses and industry
- Initiating and conducting discussions and negotiations with the private and public sectors regarding economic development initiatives, including land sales and provision of municipal services
- Preparing strategic plans and initiating economic development initiatives
- Sustain collaborative regional partnerships between surrounding municipalities and stakeholders
- Assisting potential entrepreneurs in the area to develop their project and provide them with the necessary resource referrals to funding agencies or specific associations
- Assisting with the development and implementation of the Economic Development Business Plan, the Fox Creek Municipal Sustainability Plan, and ongoing marketing and communications plans
The Economic Development Officer shall, in the area of Marketing Through Tourism be responsible for:
- Developing marketing strategies to promote interest in outdoor/indoor activities within the area
- Attending meetings with the Chamber of Commerce and local business leaders to develop cross-promotional material
- Participating in seminars, conventions, and workshops regarding trends in the tourism industry
- Conducting surveys with tourist and businesses to ensure that their needs are satisfied and to determine areas of improvement
- Maintaining a working relationship with other tourism agencies to promote joint ventures and shared marketing
- Monitoring advertising budget to ensure greatest exposure is achieved with limited resources
- Creating partnerships to leverage marketing dollars with Travel Alberta
- Answering inquiries about the community from outside of the area using marketing packages
- Promoting local businesses via the internet
- Attending trade shows as a participant and as an observer. As a participant, set up display, coordinate and share in activities and work schedule of volunteers to promote the region. As an observer, compile information relevant to tourism. Develop the necessary contacts and networks dependent on opportunities
Communication with Local and Regional / Provincial Bodies:
The Economic Development Officer shall, in the area of Communication with Local and Regional / Provincial Bodies be responsible for:
- Liaising with the Chamber of Commerce to develop programs and services to promote programs and services to promote opportunities with local businesses
- Preparing press releases and participating in media interviews regarding Town and area developments
- Facilitating partnerships in the business community to approach other levels of government for assistance
- Preparing marketing materials, i.e. Community Profiles, Doing Business in Fox Creek, etc.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Required:
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Above average knowledge of computer applications and typing skills.
- Ability to interact with general public in a friendly, helpful and respectful manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- General knowledge of application legislation
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- A current and valid Class 5 Alberta driver’s license.
- Local Government Administrator’s Certificate and/or municipal experience would be considered assets.
Apply in Confidence to:
Town of Fox Creek
PO Box 149 T0H 1P0
*please note Economic Development Officer (Term) in subject line
All applications received by March 23,2018 will be given consideration, but the competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.