Most types of property or building development require one or more permits. Any use or development of lands or buildings requires a development permit, unless exempt under the Land Use Bylaw.

Many developments also require building permits, and electrical, plumbing, gas, and/or private sewage disposal permits.

Alberta Municipal Affairs offers a Do I need a Building Permit tip sheet that can help explain the process.