KIWETINOHK ENERGY CORP. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AND ENHANCEMENT ACT
NOTICE OF APPLICATION
In accordance with the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Kiwetinohk Energy Corp. has applied to Environment and Parks for an approval. The operation is located at LSD 5, 6, 11, and 12, of Section 21 of Township 62, Range 19. West of the 5th Meridian (Capacity 101 MW.
A directly affected person may provide input into certain regulatory decisions, as allowed by the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (section 73). Specifically, any person who is directly affected by this application may submit a written statement of concern within 30 days of the date of this notice to:
The written statement of concern should include the following:
- the application number 001-484664
- describe concerns that are relevant to matters regulated by the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act
- explain how the filer of the concern will be directly affected by the activities proposed in the application
- provide the legal land location of the land owned or used by the filer where the concerns described are believed to be applicable
- state the distance between the land owned or used by the filer and the site in the application
- contact information including the full name and mailing address of the filer. Please provide a telephone number and/or email address for ease of contact.
Environment and Parks will review each written statement of concern, seek more information if needed, and notify each filer by letter of the decision to accept or reject their written submission as a valid statement of concern. The Public Notice of this application will also be posted on the Department’s website at https://avw.alberta.ca/PublicNoticesViewer.aspx.
Statements of concern submitted regarding this application are public records which are accessible by the public and the applicant. Failure to file a statement of concern may affect the right to file a Notice of Appeal with the Environmental Appeals Board.
Copies of the application and additional information can be obtained from: Kiwetinohk Energy Corp.
Attention: Dobromir Filip 1700 250 2 Street SW Calgary AB T2P 0C1 Telephone: (587) 392-4414
Kîwetinohk Energy Corp (KEC) is proposing to permit, construct, and operate a 100 Megawatt (MW) gas-fired generating station two kilometers south of Fox Creek. This proposed generating station, known as the Opal Power Plant Project (OPP), will be constructed within 7.24 hectares of undeveloped forested land in Section 21, Township 62, Range 19 W5M. The location was selected based on proximity to natural gas supply; demand for electricity and available export grid capacity; adequate acreage; access to site and road load capacity; and the fact the location is within an old clearcut area and meets setbacks from wetlands and watercourses.